Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunbutter!

So I seem to have developed some kind of intolerance/allergy to nuts, so I'm keeping them out of my life for now.  I know, it's sad.  Especially when I do things like crave a PB&J sandwich or something....

And okay, there are a million recipes floating around the interwebs for sunflower seed butter, and I'm not taking credit for anything, I'm just posting how I did mine today.


  • 4 cups roasted, salted sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (more on this in a minute)
  • 3 tablespoons honey (and more on this too)
Get your food processor out and put the seeds in and turn it on.  Now just forget about it for a few minutes until the processor grinds it into a mealy texture.  Now start to drizzle in your olive oil, letting the processor go, and it will gradually start to thin out and turn into a more creamy texture.  You may use less oil, you may use more, just stop the processor periodically and scrape down the sides and see where you're at.  And the same thing with the honey, add in a tablespoon at a time, test it, and if you want it sweeter, add more.

You want a really good treat?  Toss some on a banana with some strawberries, it'll solve the PB&J dilemma.

Makes 3 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment